Re: [Fwd: Superchargers vs nitrous]

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Mon Dec 07 1998 - 21:48:39 EST

In a message dated 12/7/98 6:45:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
gary.shook@mci.com writes:

<< Whoa there, Wild Bill!

 I believe the mopar fuel cutoff works by NOT firing the injectors, there
 would still be fuel pressure.. In fact I remember a certain Mopar enthusiast
 magazine testing a nitrous kit on a Neon rental car! I took the abuse just
 fine, even when pumping 100hp more than stock in, until one of them left it
 in a lower gear too long and over-revved the engine, causing a backfire when
 the valves floated... the nitrous system was also pumping in fuel, so the
 injectors quit firing, but the engine continued to run on the fuel the
 nitrous system was providing.

 so do NOT rely on the factory rev limiter when running nitrous! You need a
 secondary spark-driven rev limiter. If you run a WOT micro switch that
 should prevent any problems while using it on a manual. Just run the micro
 switch in series with the "HOT" button... >>

Hmmmm you may be right on the injectors but I know I've screwed up atleast
twice at WOT on the juice and went into neutral by accident and to date no ill
effects ??? A spark rev limiter would definitley be better. I also seen the
article on the Neon ordeal and I believe it was 150 HP that they went to
before the backfire that blew the air cleaner hose off ?? Any way the drove it
back to the rental lot if I recall right :-)

Yes the WOT is hooked in series with everything else atleast on mine so if any
of a few thing do not occur properly the no juice.

I'll have to check out the Rev limiter on Mopar Comp though, if your right it
could definitely be a problem.

Bill