Re: Dakota 360 swap...

From: Bobby Nicks (bwnicks@ibm.net)
Date: Sun Dec 13 1998 - 14:35:17 EST

William Blount Arthur wrote:

> Well, you know that the triangle isnt full of good ole boys. No offense,
> but a lot of them are from other states and would expect some kind of
> emissions laws, even thought we dont have a smog problem or anything. I
> just dont see them telling farmer joe out in the middle of the swamps that
> he cant modify his car. They probably shouldnt anyways. But if they
> decide to, I guess I'll move to SC. From what I hear they did away with
> all that stuff.
>
> Bill

Bill,

You're right South Carolina has done away with all their inspection laws
from what I understand, both safety and emission.

As far as North Carolina new laws about emissions, I have mixed emotions
about them. I'm a hot rodder and drag racer and have been working on
and modifying cars since the late fifties. As a hot rodder I hate like
hell to have someone tell that I can't put headers on a car or change
cams or do anything as long as it doesn't make the car unsafe. But as
the husband of a nice lady that has lung cancer and at least a couple of
times a week she can't go outside because the pollution is so bad. Yes,
Bill the triangle area has pollution, most of it I hate to say is caused
as car exhaust. So as I said I have mixed emotions about it.

But as a hot-rodder I have taken a part in several car shows and cruises
this summer that were set up to educate the public on just how
restrictive North Carolina's new laws are if they are enforced the way
they are written. (So far a lot of inspection stations aren't
enforceing them right to the letter of the law.) There is also a group
here in Raleigh trying to raise money to fight the new laws.

Now if the Yankees had just stay hone, but that's another story.

Bob
95 Dakota V8
96 Impala SS