RE: Re: Truck Selection

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Mon Dec 14 1998 - 20:24:39 EST

Chris,
That 84 Toy has a 2.4L, not a 2.2. I had the same engine in my 83 Toy, 22R.
I sold mine with 205,000 on it and I could still chirp 2nd with it. I loved
running it up to about 7000 rpm and dropping the clutch. It always sounded
like it was about to explode, but it just kept taking it. I used to race new
V6 Toy's and blow them away. They usually accused me of having a cam or head
work or something, but it was completely stock. It never broke down and in
fact still had perfect compression. It also never burned oil. I talked with
a guy at a Toyota dealership who said the 18R was the cherry of the bunch as
they were pretty high compression and though you had to hunt out the sources
for hot rod parts, once you found them, they were pretty cheap and easy to
install. The best hop up I have heard for the 22R is a 20R head as the
passages are round instead of rectangular like the 22R head. Bonded Motors
makes a totally streetable 22R for under $5000.00 that is said to put out
close to 300 hp. Not bad for a motor that in it's original form only put out
85 hp (1983). You should be able to completely rebuild that engine in about
a weekend. They are really easy to work on once you have removed all the
vacuum lines. Have fun!

John
98 Dak (removing unwanted custom body and suspension mods)

<snip>
My friend has an 84 Toy with the 2.2 with 230K on it. He raced me a few
month ago to see how well he could keep up with me and he took me off the
line (tirespin) I cought him and we were even till about 30 when I just blew
by him. I was suprised he kep up with me as much as he did. We're actually
going to start rebuilding the engine this weekend it should be an intresting
experience...
<unsnip>