MPI Manifold Was: Re: Swap of "crate" 360 into '97 Dakota?

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 15 1998 - 19:56:08 EST

At 06:27 PM 12/15/98 -0600, you wrote:
>I am surprised you got a part number for the MPI. They would not give me
one. I

  Weird. Its on page 74 of the 1998 Mopar Performance catalog.

>was told they do not recommend it for air conditioned cars. It will work,
>but you
>have to modify the bracket. Yes, no EGR and you have to weld the tube to the
>exhaust manifold, or find a plug of some type. Someone is already making
these
>manifold modifications. I have one. I know of one other person who has one,
>but no
>one is talking about where they actually came from. Is it possible Chrysler is
>doing to R&D with some people?

   Hmmm, sounds like that might be what's happening... Or, is it
possible that the one you have is an ordinary M1 that has been modified
by someone other than MP? MP set a release date recently, and then
backed out; I wonder if they're trying to change the MPI to make
it more of a bolt-on? (I sure hope so!) :-)

   I'm still not 100% clear on the EGR thing. Where is this tube that
you have to weld? Prior to 1996, the EGR was external. Any idea how
this affects the whole situation? Is the computer OK with this mod?

                                               -Jon-