Re: 11sec dak- How I did it

From: Tom & Fern Moffat (tomm@datarecall.net)
Date: Wed Jul 01 1998 - 01:38:17 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: WillTier@aol.com <WillTier@aol.com>
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Date: Wednesday, December 16, 1998 8:41 PM
Subject: Re: DML: 11sec dak- How I did it

>In a message dated 12/16/98 7:27:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>tomm@datarecall.net writes:
>
><< Greetings!
> From a new DML subscriber. I finally broke down and bought a computer. I
>guess its because I' ve been spending to much time on my truck! >>
>
>Welcome Tom sounds like a awsome truck fer shurr..
>
><<The first thing I' d like to say is that is no max-effort, high dollar
race
>truck. Any member can easily replicate what I' ve done for a relatively
>modest investment. >>
>
>What do you consider modest, kinda sounds to me that you version and some
>others may vary ? :-)

       Fair question Will, It's obvious I've got money tied up into it.
est=$3000 into the drivetrain

><<Intake- M-1 single plane drilled for fuel injectors
>(24lb)>>
>
>Where did you get the M1 and have you had any adverse conditions with the
24#
>injectors ?
           I got the M1 from RC performance already drilled out along with
an adapter plate for the stock T-body. The 24# inj. work fine. However ,
the 92 daks have no OBD 2 concerns. The 92's also have a return line to
the fuel tank which allows for a regulator to be used-a must!

><<Throttle body- bored by AST in Houston>>
>
>Do you know the CFM flow of this TB ?
        Sorry, no cfm to report ; it was a mild port job. I too could
probably benefit from a bigger one
><<Ignition- MSD 6a>>
>
>Are you using any retard with the juice ?
> not currently, but I am using a few gallons of race gas to ward
off detonation gremlins
><<Power adder- Nitrous Express Gemini plate system -150HP (adjustable)>>
>
>Does this system add fuel at the plate ?
> yes, which I personally like because it dosen't place great demands on
the injectors to ante up. Just 5psi off of one of my ports on my regulator

><<Regulator- mallory FP regulator on return line (92 daks)>>

>What is it set to ? Do you increase it with juice ?

       The Mallory strictly controls FP via the return line for the motor.
Currently set at 32#'s with vacuum. A Holley reg. supplied with the kit is
connected in line to the Mallory by way of an extra port on the Mallory and
bleeds off FP to 5 psi for the N2O solenoid
><<Tranny- 518 2600 stall,shift kit>>
>
>Is this tranny stock other than shift kit ? Is it a lock up TC ? Where did
you
>get the 2600 TC and the 3500 TC and how much ?

          stock tranny with lock up . I really like this piece. I had the
original 2800 stall for 2 years and beat the crape out of it with no failure
and with no cooler! The company is Britton's Racing TQ's. They built me a
3800 stall with lock up. I've talked to all the big name TQ CO's and no
body wants to mess with that much stall. They say its to time consuming and
difficult to build. Brittons took it as a challenge and made a very
bastardized unit, using parts from many different TQ's, but it works great!
I know he builds the TQ for the Gravedigger truck. Nobody else I know will
do this except for Precision Ind. for a cool grand. Mine was $400!
><<rearend- stock 3.92>>
>
>What year truck do you have and is this the 8 1/4 rearend and have you had
any
>problems with it ?

           No problems yet. I've probably been saved by using an auto.
though . With an est. 450hp rearwheel it will eventually happen I'm sure.
><<This truck use to have a vortech s-trim putting out 10 lbs of boost.>>
>
>What happened to the Vortec and why ?

          I sold it. To many detonation problems even with the BTM. At the
track I was mandated to pure race gas given the boost I was running. This is
not to say the blower isn't a good way to go. It's just that the dak needs
better control of its fuel and computer system to really bring out the power
safely and I couldn't justify the cost of doing it right.
><<ET: 11.5 @118 (150 shot N20)
>60ft:1.70
>Motor:13.2 @103.8>>
>
>Definitely a good runner. How do you trigger the juice and when ? What size
>bottle and how many consistent runs per bottle ?

             Off the line baby! with a WOT switch; 15# bottle behind the
seat; with the 150 shot ;about 5 times
><<PS I just added a 3800 stall converter>>
>
>Good luck here, be real interesting to see if the rearend will take the
abuse.
>How did you come up with 3800 for the stall speed, way to high for Juice
from
>anything I've seen. The 2600 would be almost Ideal for juice from what I've
>seen and is what I have been looking for but have been skeptical as to how
the
>tranny and rear would hold up. That 3800 results is going to be
interesting.

>Hey wish I could be there in Baytown but a little too far a drive :-) Any
way
>good luck and keep us posted with the results.
>
>Bill

      The 3800 stall is where my cam really turns on. The M-1 is nice, but
be warned it does take some torque away down low. This mandated I go with a
higher stall. Trust me, Bill, my 60ft's sucked because it was such a dog out
of the whole on the motor. The N2O helped of course but I still had the
problem. The M-1 really begs for more compression or cubes, neither of which
I have. Come on Bill, 150 shot is not outrageous. Most N2O CO. say you can
go up to 150 and so does N2O Express. I have a couple of buddies who spray
the crape out of there daks-no problems! I will concede it's the limit on a
stock block though. I hope this does help some of the other daks. Happy
motoring!