Re: Fog Light Out!

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 18 1998 - 22:45:07 EST

At 09:34 PM 12/18/98 -0600, you wrote:
>The headlight switch is rotary on the 99s. u then pull out on the knob if u
>want
>the fog lights on also. Mine broke and a little copper part fell out so I
>cant turn
>on the fog lights and with the rainy foggy weather we are having now I wish
>they
>worked. I ask the dealer to send me the switch because it is a 150 mile
>trip to
>them but they said they could not send me a headlight switch rather because
>it was a
>safety related item it has to be installed by the dealer. Shucks!

  Safety related?? Pffft! Smells fishy to me... (Maybe I'm wrong, but
something doesn't seem quite right here...) You could make the case that
almost any part on a vehicle is safety related... Would they also refuse
to sell you a set of brake pads? Wiper blades? Shifter knob?? Any of
that stuff can cause an unsafe condition if not installed properly.

   I wonder what are the legal implications of telling people they're not
allowed to work on their own vehicles? Oops, I'd better stop now before
I get really ticked off... ;-)

   You can probably order one from Koller Dodge, and probably cheaper than
the "local" dealership to boot... (www.kollerdodge.com)

                                               -Jon-