Re: Fog Light Out! +The real story+

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 21 1998 - 16:35:21 EST

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Rob Robinson wrote:
[...]
> Being an ex service advisor, I know why they didn't want to send you the
> switch.... Very often, dealerships are audited for warr. items. If they
> cannot show who put on the part, or where the old part is (so parts aren't
> just shipped out with Chrysler paying the bills) then the dealership pays
> major fines. They can also lose how must stock the parts deparment can
> hold, which slows down future customers... I know it sounds foolish, but
> for warr. work the proof of repair has to be there.
>
> Also, if the part is not installed correctly and you get a ticket or worse,
> a wreck because of faulty lighting (remember, warr parts must be put on by
> the dealer) who do you think will be held responsible? Can we all spell
> "lawsuit"?
>
> Think about it... Long gone are the days you can trust someone.

  Rob,

  What you're saying makes a lot of sense. I believe someone else
brought up the warranty issue also. I can understand a dealer being
unwilling/unable to send someone a part for a repair that is being
covered under warranty. I had assumed that this was a non-warranty
repair; that someone wanted a part to fix their truck, and the
dealer said that they had to replace it. (then charging for their
labor) Since the truck in question was a '97 or '98, I guess it
would still be under warranty though...

   For a non-warranty repair, I stand by my previous statement, but
I guess I jumped the gun a bit on this one. :-)

                                              -Jon-