Batteries

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Tue Dec 22 1998 - 08:36:11 EST

Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 21:57:13 -0600
From: Brian <leefam@wcc.net>
Subject: DML: Good Battery Brands?

Hey guys,

Well it's about 0 degrees outside, and my battery is toast. The
interior lights don't even come on. I'm going to get a new one. I
was
thinking of trying an Optima battery. Think it's worth it? I can get
one for $100. Normally I would just go out and buy a DieHard Gold or
something. The Optima design sounds better, though. It doesn't have
any liquid in it, and can even be mounted upside down. It has other
features, too. Aybody ever used this battery before? Good or bad? A
bunch of people run the Yellow top version at my track. I was
thinking
about getting the Red top version.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Brian

------------------------------
Brian:

Sears (Canada) DieHard Gold is manufactured by Delco. I've had
nothing but success with Delco. A neighbour removed one from his car
because it was 5 years old, I used it for 5 years as a camper
battery, then a friend of mine ran it for 2 years in his pickup
before it finally died.

As a matter of maitenance, I have my batteries tested at 5 years and
if there is any sign of deterioration, I replace the battery. A deep
cycle or marine battery (partial deep cycle) isn't designed for
automotive use.

Paying more for a battery doesn't necessarily get you more. $100
Canadian ($60 US) will get you the very best Sears battery.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com
Victoria, B.C.
Canada