4x4 Snow

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Thu Dec 24 1998 - 19:02:18 EST

Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 09:08:32 PST
From: James Atkinson <destroyer872@hotmail.com>
Subject: DML: snow

I couldn't agree more, there is the feeling of knowing when you feel
that t-case engage you are on your way. I thought I would get a chance
to try the 4wd last night, but I made it in 2wd (with limited slip
rear),no weight in the bed and Wranglet ATs. In the Baltimore area a
snowflake drives these people into hyper hysteria, they were all over
the road, and in the ditches. In the Balt.- Wash area, there are too
drivers. some drive too slow and some drive too fast. The Dak only
slipped when pulling out of an intersection and making a turn at the
same time. I was born and raised in snow country, so it's a real hoot to
watch the bumper cars in action.

                                             Jim
                                         '97 cc 4x4 v-6 auto
------

Well, I got to use 4wd last night .... heavy snowfall 2 - 3" of heavy wet
slop (32F) overtop of
frozen roads. 2wd pickups were slipping all over the place, but with 4wd
and common sense I was able to go about my business without any problems.
Just as the owners manual warned, RWABS does not always function, due to
drive line lock up ... ie., if you lock up your front brakes, the drive
line causes the rears to lock and you can skid sideways. Tried it once on
a deserted street and went sideways.

Didn't bother to see how far I could go in 2wd, the V8 has got too much
oomph for that and I'm not packing any weight ... don't need it.

I replaced the Wranglers a few weeks ago, with Michelin LT's (M&S)....
what a difference in the snow! Easy to stop without lockup, no problems
starting up, even on uphills ....should've bought new tires the day I drove
the truck home from the dealer.

Merry Christmas DMLer's

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com