Re: 318-340 block

From: JT McBride (mcbride@abac.com)
Date: Sat Dec 26 1998 - 01:44:16 EST

Brian sez:
>block.The 340 360 block has different mount configuration on the drivers
>side.

Sam ought to be able to answer this real quickly: Are the motor mounts
in different places on Magnum 318 and 360 blocks?

IŽll be mounting Magnum, MPI heads one way or the other. Sure make
a 360 swap a cinch if the motor mounts are the same.

After careful reading of the MP catalog, I would gather that the main bearings
are different sizes for the 318 and 360. I guess that means I canŽt just
bore a 360 .040 over, and drop in my 318 crank. Or is it only the journal
bearings that are a different size? IŽd be buying new pistons either way.

MP sells forged cranks with strokes from 3.306 to 3.79 inches (the latter
would make a 381 out of a 360 block) with "318 mains".
They also list the high-zoot billet cranks as "For use on 273-318-340
A-engines, including the MP race block applications." Sounds like the 318
mains are Žthe way to go if performance is the goalŽ.

Speaking of race blocks. Both the Aluminum race block ($5375!) and block
#P5249450 have 48 degree tappet bores instead of 59 degree. What does
that imply as far as your heads are concerned? I looked through the head
section, and while they list only one (a W-7 Al) head with six bolts per
cylinder (for the Al block), thereŽs no talk of different tappet/pushrod
angles. What up?

>is very good ,while a 340 can be a bit peaky.Having run both bores for many
>years I firmly believe the Torque of the 360 gives it an edge.The 360,s made

The 340, as the most oversquare engine in the A-block family, is a horsepower
monster, because you can spin it real fast, which is probably why it was used
in the AAR E-bodies.

WeŽre talking trucks, and offroad here, though, so I think IŽll set my sights
a bit lower, and start looking for a low-mileage wrecked Ram with a 360.

Am I right that the camshaft chain, oil pump, and distributor can be swapped
among any A-engines?

Jim