RE: New Member and a Question

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Sun Dec 27 1998 - 17:35:04 EST

> Hi all,
> I've been lurking on this list for a few weeks and though now
> would be a good time to introduce myself (and ask a question!)
>
> My name is Roger Heim and I bought a 98 Dakota SLT in August.
> It is Light Driftwood and has the 5.2 V8, Auto Tranny, and power
> everything. I live in Wayne, New Jersey about 20 miles from New York City.

Welcome aboard! I'm down here in Rahway (quick run down the Parkway Exit
135).
Got a 95 Dak Sport CC,v6,5spd,Emerald Green.

> Now my question. My first mod is a set of Steel Horse stainless steel
> steps. The driver's side steps went on with no problem but the bolt
> mounting the step to the bracket broke while I was torqueing
> it down. (I know the torque wrench was set correctly.)

Ouch!

> To make a long story short I had to drill out the bolt. Now
> I don't know whether to drill and tap the hole for a 5/8" bolt instead of
> half-inch, use some sort of coil insert and use the half-inch bolt, or
something else
> entirely.

I'd try a coil first, just for cosmetics. Or if you get a same sized head on
the bolt in 5/8", then drill it out and tap it. But since it is a step I'd
go with tapping the hole and use a larger bolt. I think after time the
coiled hole would be weakened and could really mess up the hole.. Just my
thoughts....

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd