Re: RE: New Member and a Question

From: William T. Goldbach (goldbach@tellink.net)
Date: Mon Dec 28 1998 - 09:55:16 EST

They are talking about Heli-Coil inserts. The insert is a metal wire, with a
diamond cross-section (thread form), coiled into what looks like a
tightly-wound spring. What you do is drill out the damaged threads, to a
specific size. Then, using a special Heli-Coil tap, you tap the hole to fit
the insert. Using a special tool, the Heli-Coil insert is then installed
into the hole. You then have a hole that takes the original sized bolt.
Usually, this "repair" is stronger than the original threads. But you must
have enough depth (thickness) for the Heli-Coil to install correctly. These
inserts are widely used in aircraft/military hardware, where you need strong
threads in aluminum or other soft metals. -Bill