Re: 5.9 vs 4.6

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 28 1998 - 13:10:31 EST

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Gordon Adams wrote:

> i have not had the chance to run my R/T against a 4.6 mustang gt. has
> anybody had any luck running against these guys. i know how it performs
> against an LS1, but have yet to stoplight it with a stang. i would
> imagine the R/T would come out on top (pre-1999). I am also curious
> about how the improvements to the mustang will help it out performance
> wise (we all know it desperately needed some improvement) I cant wait to
> race one.

   Unfortunately, Mustangs react very well to mods, and (worse) they're
dirt cheap! You can make a mustang run 11's for a pittance. The
4.6's don't yet have anywhere near as many mods available as do the
5.0's, but they've still got a lot more going for them than Dodge
trucks do. (As far as the availability of go-fast stuff goes.)

 (A friend of mine is kind've a mustang buff, so I hear a lot about
  them from him; don't worry, I haven't joined the dark side. :-)
  Plus, I have always thought "know thine enemy" is sound advice.) ;-)

  On a related note, something that I have always found interesting
(and which was also recently mentioned in Mopar Action) is: Despite
being impossibly outnumbered and despite having virtually non-existant
aftermarket support, Mopars seem to take more than their share of
trophies and spank more than their share of other "ready, willing, and
able" vehicles on the street. I'm not sure why, but I find this
fascinating. I wonder what it is that causes this? Are Mopars simply
better built? Do Mopars attract people with better driving skills? Do
they appeal to a more adept portion of the population? Some or all of
the above? I dunno; I have yet to figure it out, but it happens too
often to be mere coincidence... When you see something consistantly
beat the law of averages, SOMETHING has to be causing it! Errr,
sorry, guess I got a little off track there. :-)

                                              -Jon-