Re: 5.9 vs 4.6 Jon

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 28 1998 - 19:17:47 EST

At 06:01 PM 12/28/98 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 12/28/98 5:51:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu writes:
>
><<
> Stock = not you, Eric! ;-)
> Hehehehehe!! What! WHAT!!!

  :-)

> I doubt anyone cares, but since I don't care that nobody cares, ;-) my
> definition of stock is whatever the vehicle was like when it was
> bought new and driven off the lot...
> >>
> I care Jon! Ok, so my engine is basically stock! Nothing internally
>modified! That polished TB and aircleaner and pulleys and injectors and
>headers are just eyecandy!
>Eric 95 Dak 5spd 13.79===========================================

  No way Eric, I'm not gonna let you get away with that one! ;-)

   I don't really differentiate between components... I like to look
at the vehicle as a whole. Someone say their engine is stock with a
MP PCM, huge throttle body, pullies, etc. but I disagree. IMHO, anything
that changes the engine from what it was new makes it "un-stock"...
Even if you just polished up the A/C lines, your engine is no longer
stock... Sure, there's no performance increase there, but you've gotta
draw the line somewhere! :-)

   If you consider your engine to be just the internals, there is a lot
you can do to it to increase the power and still call it stock, but I
consider the system as a whole. For example, some people consider an
engine with a performance computer stock, but unplug that computer and see
how well your engine runs. ;-) IMHO, its part of the engine...

  Now if you want to say your engine's internals are stock, that's another
thing entirely; I'd go along with that.

                                               -Jon-