backwards pistons

From: the bobster (charger69rt@inficad.com)
Date: Tue Dec 29 1998 - 01:48:30 EST

List

To do the backwards pistons you swap the pistons
from side to side. 1-2,3-4,5-6,&7-8.

A good time to do this is after tracking down a 1/4-20
bolt that was inhaled and talked to #8 cylinder.

A bent intake valve, pushrod , and then the bolt moved back
 into the intake manifold without leaving a mark in the cylinder.

I take full blame for this act of stupidity.

The neat trick of flipping the aircleaner hardware over to clear
the bores had the suggestion of a locking nut to secure the
former holddown bolt, that now becomes the aircleaner top
stud.

I relyed on the tinnerman fastener and a tightened wingnut
holding the aircleaner top,to be enough safeguard.

The wingnut must not have been tight, then the bolt backed
out of the tinnerman retainer and down the throats.

Instead of a set back it is a chance to upgrade the cam, add a
windage tray, do an early valve job,and do the piston swap.

We have done the piston swap twice.

The first time during a budget rebuild on a 68 383 superbee.

The second time on the 440 charger rt we ran in brackets
years ago.

The superbee would run with the 440's that had the same
equipement and the charger was the fastest street car
about 90% of the trips to the strip.

In my opinion there is more than minor power gains involved.

But remember.......this comes from someone who could
even touch his aircleaner hardware without damaging his Dak.

It makes the carriage bolt deal very understandable.

roblip