RE: 5-spd man probs (kinda long)

From: Joe Dille (joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us)
Date: Tue Dec 29 1998 - 20:56:03 EST

J.,

If the "transmission" is making a noise in neutral with the clutch disengaged
(pushed in) I would suspect the clutch or bell housing. This happened on my
friends BMW bike. If things are not square or true you could get noise when the
clutch is dinengaged. I would also suspect the clutch since you have had two
trannys and you are using the original clutch.

Drive Safe,

Joe

>Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 12:37:53 -0800 (PST)
>From: Jason Yates <j_hurricane_y@yahoo.com>
>Subject: DML: 5-spd man probs (kinda long)
>
>OK, I'll try to keep this as short as possible. I purchased my '98
>Dak CC with the 318 and the manual transimission back in May. Shortly
>afterward (couple weeks) the transmission starting making this
>'whirring/rattle' noise at idle (sitting in neutral with the clutch
>disengaged). By the time I could get it to the shop it was sounding
>really bad. Turns out that somehow a seal or something was left out
>or at the factory and it threw all the oil in the tranny into the
>clutch housing--not a single drop came out of the trans; only metal
>shavings. So, they dropped in a new trans at the dealer and I thought
>I was all set. Well, about three days later, the truck locked up on
>me at a stoplight--what I mean is that it was in first gear, but it
>didn't move when I took the clutch out. I was finally able to get the
>truck rolling after moving the lever around and stomping on the gas
>pretty good. I heard something break loose and . . . you guessed it,
>the whirring/rattle at idle began again (the gears must of got bound
>somehow and I had to break some teeth loose to get it moving again).
>Needless to say, I was a little upset that my new toy was broken again
>but I didn't get mad at the service guys because I didn't think it was
>their fault. Well, they got me another tranny and that's the one
>that's still in it now (the 3rd one).
>
>My concern is that I once again hear a whirring while in neutral with
>the clutch disengaged (it goes away with the clutch pushed in). Does
>anybody else hear this? It seems to me that I shouldn't be able to
>hear any noises coming from the tranny--then again I've never had one
>apart so I'm sort of clueless. I don't want to get stranded somewhere
>after the trans blows up (assuming its defective), but I also don't
>have the time to take it to the dealer and have them listen for the
>noise. I actually did this already a few months ago when I first
>thought I was hearing the noise again and they claimed they couldn't
>hear anything abnormal. It seems to me that it sounds worse now, but
>it gets hard to tell after listening to it over time. For awhile I
>entertained the idea of getting the truck replaced under the 'lemon
>law,' but its too late now because I have over 12000 miles. I love
>the truck, though . . . I just want it to be as perfect as it can be
>'ya know? Anyway, if anybody has any input, I'd appreciate it.
>
>Thanks,
>JY

Joe Dille

Telford PA USA