Re: JBA header buy

From: Alan Short (ashort@flash.net)
Date: Wed Dec 30 1998 - 12:18:00 EST

Patrick Delgado wrote:

> Hey dudes(and dudettes),
>
> I called Internet Racers Supplies today and inquired about the JBA
> headers.
> The lady that answered connected me to someone that could give me a
> volume
> discount. The man said unless they were all shipping to the same
> address he
> couldn't give me anything off. Not only that, in the middle of Dec.
> the headers
> went up to $398. Not a good shopping trip.
> It seems like I'm going with the Leach headers. You guys promised
> more HP and
> no welding(muffler clamps OK). If this is true count me in on the
> group buy.
> One can't go wrong with more power.
> So far I've got Gibson split duals cat-back, K&N FIPK, Triple
> platinum splitfires
> and Taylor cables. Can the stock computer work good with the header
> addition?
> dadoctah@worldnet.att.net

        Doc, tell me again about your Dak. What cab style, motor/trans, year. I
installed my Leach headers by myself except for welding. I think clamps
won't work, at least in my application ('98 R/T). If you call Leach
directly, ask his opinion. I have a reg cab and had to cut off all but
2" of pipe going to the cat inlet. The Y-pipe outlet wasn't a close
enough fit to clamp, and if it were, the Leach pipe is thick and
chromed. I dont think it'll crimp very well. The slip joint in the
drivers side Y-pipe runs very close behind the oil pan and there isn't
room for a clamp, and once again, it's chrome. If you clamp a chrome
pipe, the chrome cracks and flakes off. I don't have to tell you about
rust, I'm sure you're familiar with that. Also, you'll need access to a
lift and a sawzall to complete the install. About a 4hr job. Alan S.