Stripped Wheel Stud!

From: V8dakLECC@aol.com
Date: Wed Dec 30 1998 - 22:27:17 EST

This is a little long-winded. scroll to the middle for my three questions:

Took my baby in for the annual state inspection. Passed the Harris County
emissions tests with flying colors. FAILED! the safety inspection. Right
rear tire worn down to treadwear indicators (wonder how that could've
happened!?). Anyway the guys lets me put on my spare and he'll pass it.
Drive to nearby parking lot and proceed to change tire. Damn! that one lug
nut sure is tight. And its gets alot tighter as it comes off. In a hurry, I
force it back on figuring Its already f@#ked up. I'll fix it later when I
have time.

Later at home I try to get it back off. Broke my damn lug wrench (you know
the stupid speed wrench lookin' thing). Finally got it of, but man is it
chewed up.

You may wonder how such a thing could happen? Well, last march, I had a flat
while camping in Hunstville Texas. Needed a repair on a Sunday morning.
Found a little redneck service station open. He gladly plugged it and charged
me $8. I'm certain that the sumbitch used a massive impact cranked up to the
max to re-install my wheel.

Enough Fumin', now for the questions:

1) Will I be okay driving with five lug nits until I get it fixed?

2) Suggestions for replacement procedure? I know they are a press fit, but I
don't want to remove the axle.

3) I'm getting two new FireHawk SS10's (225/70/15) tommorrow. Tires are $69
apiece, $179 walkout with Road Hazard. I know we have a Firestone retailer on
the list (Patrick E. I beleive). Is this a good per tire price, or am I
gettin' shafted.