Re[2]: 4x4 Front end growl - Skidplates

From: JT McBride (mcbride@abac.com)
Date: Thu Dec 31 1998 - 10:28:01 EST

>I guess there's no two ways about it, I'm gonna have to take the front
>plate off again and see what's what. Don't know about yours, but mine was
>a bitch to get the bolts to *almost* line up. I had to crank some of the
>bolts in at a slight angle. That's how I know there is a lot of tension
>*in* the plate. Originally I thought it was just the metal flexing, but
>it's not.

Have you tried lining up the holes when the truck is supported on the
frame? I think the front of the frame droops a fair amount, which would
bring the two crossmembers that the skidplate attaches to a wee bit closer
together. Iīm lucky enough to have a hoist at my disposal.

>Frustrating thing is not only the engine has to be under load but the
>driveline as well in order for the noise to occur (maybe the front
>suspension too??). I.E. Just revving the engine to have it move in the
>motor mounts won't make the noise... I have to be accelerating from a dead
>stop to make the noise.

Same for me. There must be a little bit of imbalance in my new driveshaft
setup after all. Guess I should deal with that...

I hate being under a car with spinning parts, but thatīs the only way I can
think of to get a chalk mark on the heavy side. Anyone else balanced their
own driveline?

Jim
ī93 4x4 CC V8