Re: Re: DML Reason for 3.55 to 3.90 swap.

From: Bobby Nicks (bwnicks@ibm.net)
Date: Fri Jan 01 1999 - 16:26:49 EST

Jetmugg@aol.com wrote:

> The reason that I want to switch to the 3.90's is to increase the pulling
> power, and raise my highway RPM's a bit when towing in O/D. I just bought a
> high-po jetboat on a tamdem trailer (about 2500# total), which I plan to pull
> a lot this summer, and I figure that the 3.90's will cause less stress on the
> O/D unit. Do you other guys tow in O/D? I know this is a controversial
> subject, but I can't bear to watch the RPM's if I take it out of O/D at
> interstate speeds.

I tow close to 5000 lbs with a 95 V-8 auto. Trailer weights 1410, race
car is 3350 plus tools, tires, etc. I leave the OD OFF when towing.
But then I'm towing with a 3.55 gear. If I had a 3.90 (which I should
have got when I ordered the truck) I would try it in OD on the
interstate. But with the 3.55 I leave the OD off.

My biggest concern about towing with the Dakota are its brakes. I have
electric trailer brakes on all four wheels of my trailer. I wouldn't
consider towing anything over 2500 lbs. without trailer brakes. You
never know when some jackass is going to pull out in front of you. The
brakes on the Dakota just aren't that strong. Guess that is really the
only thing that I dislike about my Dakota are the brakes.

Bob

95 Dakota CC V-8 auto