RE: Mike Leach/Mopar header install welding

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Sun Jan 03 1999 - 15:08:27 EST

I made sure that everything was where it needed to be, and the guys in the
muffler shop let me get under the truck once it was on the lift to show them
exactly what I wanted done, before anything was welded. Everything lined up
exactly like is was supposed to. I'm not too worried about rust as we never
use salt on our roads and the exhaust in front of the cat seems to out last
most vehicles, plus I know that I will never have to worry about it coming
loose, or leaking. Also, I had no choise but to have at least the reducer
welded as my cat inlet pipe was too long and I could not get the reducer to
slip into it far enough. So, I had the reducer shortened, easier than the
cat inlet shortend and welded on.

John
98 Dak Sport 4X4 CC 5.2, Auto, Mopar Headers, DDBC

<snip>
I put the same headers on my 98 and I did not have to weld anything. I
wouldn't
reccommend welding if you don't have to because it promotes earlier rusting
of
the pipe, and may prevent later removal if you want to. If you must weld,
don't
do to until everything including collectors and the reducer adaptor is
mounted
or the bolt holes in the flanges may not line up.

<unsnip>