Re: Exhaust System Questions:

From: Jack Hilton III (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Mon Jan 04 1999 - 10:41:29 EST

 There are a couple questions
>I have. If I have things straight then the idea behind a modified
>exhaust is to get air out of the engine faster so that it can be taken
>in faster,

True

 thus increasing the air/fuel mixture ratio to a point that
>is more optimal for gas milage, and torque.

Well , not really for the ratio for the mixture , cuz that isn't determined
from that , but it makes more HP . The better an engine breathes , the more
HP you will get .

 OK, to do this we replace
>the headers, the muffler and the tail pipe. OK.

Yep

 But there is this
>issue of the catalytic converter, isn't it a bottle neck?

Ah , now you know why many people either do or wish they could remove the
cat . Unfortunately it is against Federal Law to remove it .

 Is there a
>slang term for the catalytic converter ('cat'?)

Yep , it's a cat.

 if so, does that imply
>that a cat-back system has something to do with it?

Yes , that means that you are replacing everything in the exhaust system
from the catalytic converter back , towards the rear of the vehicle .

When you put
>shorties on your truck do you also have to replace everything else in
>line to achieve any effect?

Well , every little bit helps , but it depends on what outcome you would
like . You don't want an exhaust that is totally open , it needs some
backpressure .

Also doesn't the ECU still control the
>intake despite the modifications to the exhaust?

Well , the ECU controls the mixture ratio except under WOT in which it
reverts back to pre-determined tables that are static (did I get that right
guys?) . The ECU should be doing the same function , only faster if you
upgrade the exhaust so that it is expelled faster .

>Thanks
>Ryan

Jack Hilton

HEMI@charter.net