Induction Noise (Amps/Speakers)

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Tue Jan 05 1999 - 13:54:58 EST

   I've been browsing some of the solutions to the engine noise problem and
I've tried all those before with limited success. The only real solution I
found (when I was into mind numbing, ear-splitting acoustics) was a two
pronged approach. First off, run a "ground loop" isolator between your stereo
head and your amp(s). This will eliminate the multiple grounding point
problem. Next, while you are at your local electronics store getting the
ground loop isolator, buy a few clamp on ferrite chokes. Wrap each wire
leading to a speaker (as close to the speaker as you can get it) through the
choke several times (same number each speaker: don't use more wraps on one
than another) and this will kill any low level inducted sources (engine noise)
and drop a small amount off of the main source. Since you guys are talking
*way* over a few watts here, I doubt you will notice any real power or signal
loss. You should then be able to deafen yourselves and your neighbors quite
handilly without any engine noise for those outside your truck to be bothered
by: well, beyond the natural engine noise (if they can hear it over the sound
system).

Shaun H.