RE:DML Y2K (non-Dak)

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Wed Jan 06 1999 - 11:14:07 EST

   There is a huge debate over this issue: when does the "New Millenium"
begin? Some folks absolutly insist it's 2001, others insist it's 2000. The
simple fact is, there was never a year "0", or a year one. Our calendar (in
theory) back dates to the birth of Christ, since it's based on a religious
definition by the Catholic Church. It's called the "Gregorian Calendar" and
we're kinda stuck with it. It has been modified by Popes, Cesar's, Kings, and
other "officials". The truth is, "Does anybody really know what time it is?"
(sorry, bad joke).
   Since our calendar is an abstract *ANYWAY* then whatever we say goes.
Personally, I say we just make the new millenium roll over with the "2" in
2000. It's vastly more simple and doesn't require too much thought to apply
that.
  Instead, we have some folks who think they know math telling us that "Year
1" was the start and therefore 2001 is the new millenium. Excuse me, they're
saying that we went from 1 BC to 1 AD overnight at some time in the past? No
year zero? What kind of math is that? Maybe year zero is the 33 years Christ
was alive so we have time freeze for a bit and we make a hole in the
space/time continium and thus you have the confusion.
   Now with the Y2K bug that threatens to turn all databases into piles of
goo, your pc into an abacus, your beloved Dak into a horse and buggy... blah,
blah, blah... It's the end of the world! Yeahhhhrrrg!!! Let's just nuke the
planet so it won't have to worry about us idiots running around on it anymore.
 I'd hate to think that Y2K will make all our hard earned nuclear stockpiles
turn into statues, so we better use them before they hit their expiration date.

Shaun H.