Re: DML Digest V4 #135

From: Scott Rosenzweig (scottr@his.com)
Date: Thu Jan 07 1999 - 15:57:40 EST

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999 10:23:13 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>Hello, my name is Jon and I am new to the list. I live in the Washington,
>D.C. metro area (Annandale, VA). If Uncle Sam provides as generous a tax
>refund as I project, that will be a downpayment on a new 99 Dakota. I plan
>to order so that I may equip it exactly as I like. I have looked at Dakotas
>over the past month at several area dealerships and have so far decided on
>the following:
>
>4x4 Club Cab
>5.2L V8 w/Auto trans
>Forest Green Clear Coat
>Sport Plus Group
>Power Overhead Convenience Group
>Deluxe Convenience Group (Tilt & Cruise)
>5x7 Fixed Power Mirrors
>Sliding Rear Window
>ABS

Just received mine (took about 7 weeks). A couple of obsevations --
if you plan on driving this in traffic, I strongly suggest that you
rethink the mirrors. The 6x9 power mirrors are great. The truck
you're ordering is high and long. A couple of blind spots that a
caddy could fit into. DC traffic sucks. I can't imagine voluntarily
taking mine into DC with smaller mirrors. Second, the limited slip is
a cheap option. Neglible downside, and increased traction in many
situations. This past bit of slush/snow, left the truck in 2 wheel
drive mode and relied on the limited slip and Michelin M/S tires to
keep me going. Worked fine. btw .. the power seat is a bit better
than not having it, but not as well done as Ford's.

I didn't get the full time 4wd, went back and forth and decided that
my type of driving and our area didn't warrant it. The only option
that I may have screwed up on.

Scott