Re: Help on Stereo Amps(wattage)

From: brock skoloda (glock2340@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jan 10 1999 - 21:55:33 EST

---HKUSP40578@aol.com wrote:

I need to know, what is best best power of an amp to get, so I WILL NOT
> blow my speakers.

Make sure you get an amp strong enough for your needs, you can always
adjust the output if needed. Remember, distortion causes a speaker to
blow long before too much wattage will.

The best way to judge an amps power is by it's RMS wattage rating.
This means the power the amp can run on a constant basis, not just
peak power

 I would like a 4 channel amp, so that I can power all 4
> speakers with one amp. Will my 1 set of preamp outputs determine if
I can
> only use one amp? Would getting 2-2 channel amps be better? Also,

Depends on your needs here also. I like to run the least amount of
amps I can but it is hard to get the proper cross over frequencies to
the speakers with only one amp

> do amps just increase the power going to the speakers or do they also
> increase the sound quality coming out of the speakers?

They generally to both. If a speaker can handle 100 watts RMS and you
feed them 15 watts RMS from the head deck, they will sound distorted
when the volume is turned high. With an amp you can feed the speaker
highers RMS wattage, in turn, making them sound better at louder
levels.

I'm not an expert at car stereo equipment but the more you read and
play around the more you can learn. Hope this helps

Eric