Re[2]: Amsoil vs. Redline vs. ?

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Mon Jan 11 1999 - 22:28:59 EST

Is this true Steve!, the Rams have Dana axles??? Hmmmmm... May need to
trade in the Dak... Naaaahhhhh!! I love my Kota!

Anyway, to try and answer your questions Russ (You got a tall order there,
bud!). This is all out of the '98 FSM and my $.02 :-)

1.a. Differential/Axle.
Rear 8.25 Axle. The housing looks like and oval with 10 bolts holding it
on. (This is what I have in my '98 4x4 :(
Rear 9.25 Axle. The housing looks like an octagon with 12 bolts holding it
on.
---->Both will have an ID tag under one of the bolts for definite
identification.
Front 194 FIA Axle... I have no idea what kind of axle this is, nor how it
compares to say, a DANA 40... There is an ID tag on this one as well.

1.b. Transfer Case.
In '97 I don't believe a full-time transfer case was offered so you have
the NV231 Part-time case.

1.c. Transmission.
We have either the 42/44RE or 46RE Automatic Transmissions. "Transmission
ID numbers are stamped on the left side of the case just above the oil pan
gasket surface."... I'll need to find out which one I have soon myself :-)

2. Which Brand.
I don't know... I'm due for a change in a couple of k myself, so let me
know what you find out!

3. Any benefit vis a vie fossil to synthetic?
Nothing scientific (beyond what I've read) but I've been going synthetic
simply for durability... Told you I'd give my $.02 :-)

Good luck.

T.