Re: Help on Stereo Amps(wattage)

From: David Gloff (dgloff@xnet.com)
Date: Tue Jan 12 1999 - 10:07:16 EST

You ask a couple of questions, and I'll try to cover all the bases:

In searching for an amp, don't worry about the peak power of either your
speakers or the amp. What's important is the RMS, or continuous power.
It sounds like you would probably want a 50x4 amp for your 35 and 40 watt
max RMS speakers. The gain level on each channel can be set so that the
volume to each pair of speakers is equal when the fader is centered.
The important thing to remember is that it's always better to get MORE
power than your speakers can handle than less (at a given distortion
figure, hopefully less than .5% THD--the best are below .1%), because
while you CAN blow a speaker by overpowering it, it's very difficult.
It's quite easy, however, to destroy a speaker by having too much
distortion, which is what an underpowered amp will do (the gain control
shouldn't have to be set above 3/4 to get the max. volume you can stand).

As for the input issue, you will need a Y-cable to split the output
(renders the fader useless), or get speaker-level to RCA converters. If
you use two sets of these (I think they're around $15/set), your fader
will continue to operate. You could also consider getting just a two
channel amp and running the other set of speakers off your head unit, but
it sounds like you want more (clean) volume than that.

I have a Sony 4-channel (mine has been replaced by the 504x, if you care),
and in my '99 CC, it will fit under the passenger seat if I remove a very
small amount (about 1/2 square inch) of the plastic cover for the seat
mount.

My apologies for the length of this post

David Gloff
Loaded Intense Blue '99 Dakota Sport 318 5-speed 3.92SG 4x2