Re: Axle Ratio

From: David Gloff (dgloff@xnet.com)
Date: Wed Jan 13 1999 - 12:55:29 EST

Sounds like you got the right gearset for your application. The 3.92s are
too much gear for me. I bought them with acceleration in mind, but I
wasn't quite expecting 2750 RPMs at 75MPH or a first gear good up till 7
in normal driving conditions (and a 2nd that's still a bit tricky to start
in, though I'm getting the hang of it). The computer's shift light wants
me to shift into OD at 30, which I think is a little excessive. And 15MPG
highway was honestly a good deal less than I expected (I was hoping for
around 20). HOWEVER, I do occasionally do some heavy loads (moving
friends in/out of apartments/dorm rooms), and I really like the low
gearing for that. Towing should be wonderful. Also, the low gears make
for really nice compression braking when the roads get slick.

David Gloff
Computer Technician
Valcom Professional Computer Center; Kemper/Scudder/Zurich Funds
aolim: dgloff
Loaded Intense Blue '99 Dakota Sport CC 318 5-speed 3.92SG
Sony C680 CD Player and HX-504 amp
Phoenix Gold XS 10" Sub, 6 1/2" midranges, 3/4" tweeters