Re: Pioneer CD Deck Problems...... -Reply

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Thu Jan 14 1999 - 00:18:57 EST

Where did you buy it?

I have a DEH-880 Pioneer CD player w/remote that is on it's
'4th life'. In '92 I got it for my '91 LE Dakota from Circuit City.
1 month later, the CD did what yours is doing. I had it replaced.
2 months later, the Tuner died (no radio reception). Again,
took it to Circuit City and had it replaced on the spot. Then
about 3-6 months later, it died again. Completely dead.
Circuit City wanted to tell me that my DEH-880 wasn't
compatible with the Dakota!! HA! Turns out with the LA riots,
they didn't have anymore DEH-880's in stock in the LA
warehouses (can you say 'looting'). They wanted to give me
a store credit towards something else... Nope, wanted a
Pioneer. I found a DEH-880 at a Circuit City in Riverside
(95 miles away). Drove up there to get it replaced. I've had
the same radio ever since... and have transferred it to my '95
in '95.... Its close to 6 years old now. It occationally skips, does
weird things, but still works fine. The volume button died, and would
'stick' on the UP... which would give a full volume blast daily. Called
Circuit City to get a price quote on the repair (14 days in the shop,
$150 labor + parts) Looked in the phone book, found a Pioneer
authorized repair shop. Took them the 'face'. $45 flat rate, 1
day in the shop. I have to get the 'down' volume fixed now
(2 years later), but I am in no hurry. My DEH is a Supertuner IV,
and gets Los Angeles radio stations down here in San Diego...
the RT's radio can't even touch that kind of reception. If you don't
get satisfaction where you bought it, call Pioneer direct (have your
recept ready).

Sam '95 SLT