Re: HRP

From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Mon Jan 18 1999 - 03:41:04 EST

At 04:39 PM 1/17/1999 PST, you wrote:

>Mike, what about a Lock-Right? I will
>>probably get one of these, mainly cause I can install it in the
>driveway.
>>

>>Brian
>>

>How much and what's involved with that? ... or is that a --CHECK THE
>ARCHIVES!-- question?
>
>---Mike, near Houston.---

Mike,

        Pretty easy swap if you're mechanically inclined.=) The cost is gonna be
between $200 and $300. I don't really remember...DOH!! I can find out if
you want me to, though! Um, hey wait a sec!! Tate should know!! He bought
one and returned it cause he has more splines than us(96 and older)!

I haven't done this to a Dak yet, but to a couple Jeeps, and it's not all
that hard.

        Basically, jack the truck up. Drain the diff and pull the cover off.
Pull the axles. Then, there is a metal pin held in by a bolt. Loosen it,
then the pin drops out. The spider gears should come out pretty easily
after that. Then just put the Lock Right in and put it back together. It
takes 2 - 3 hrs tops! Well, it should at least. The above sounds harder
than it is.

        The only downsides are that it is a racheting type locker, so when you
turn corners (and it unlocks) it makes a pretty loud pop(at least in the
Jeeps). Although disconcerting at first you soon realize that, no, you're
differential is not destroying itself.=) The only other bad thing that
I've ever heard about them is they might get worn down faster than say a
Detroit Locker would (due to the shorter teeth that mesh together on a LR).
 I don't think that this is too much of a prob since comments like these
come from the serious Jeep rock climber guys, and I don't think I'll be
doing anything like that anytime soon with the Dak. They abuse there diffs
a little more than we do....

I have plans to toss a 9.25 rear in my Dak in the future, so this is what I
plan to have in the rear for the next 2 - 3 yrs.

I think that covers it. Any more questions, just ask!! =)

Brian