Re: Stillen (Bob Mankin)

From: Bob Mankin (bob@cadpros.com)
Date: Mon Jan 18 1999 - 03:36:45 EST

bnich@bellatlantic.net wrote:

> Bob, I ordered the Stillen Bumper Cover yesterday. I was wondering if
> you put yours on yet? Could you tell me how much lower it comes down
> versus the stock grey valance? Hows it go on doublestick? Do I leave my
> old valence on? Hows it fit, around the lights.
> I haven't figured out what to do with the grill as of yet. I want to see
> how the chrome bezzel will look with the cover, maybe I'll do something
> with some expanded metal. Maybe black expanded metal if I leave the
> grill bezel chrome or s/s expanded metal if I change the bezzel. Anyone
> have any ideas?
> BTW my lowered pics are up on my profile Regards, Bob Nichols

Hey Bob,

Saw the pics of your lowered truck. Nice work. I just re-installed the
stock springs into mine today. I had originally put both the lowered
A-arms and a 1" lowering spring in. A bit too much, especially since the
springs they ship are typically V6 pieces. Install them in a V8 club and
instead of a 1" drop(intended) I got more like 2.5" for a 4.5" total
drop up front. You can get a peek at how it looked with the A-arms and
springs here:

http://www.dnai.com/~bobm/imgaes/lowered.jpg

As to your Stillen parts inquiry, I'm not the best source for that
because I haven't installed mine as yet, but I will tell you what I know
about the kit. It attaches with double-sided tape to the bumper, but
you'll remove the stock lower valance. You should be able to fit the
stock fog lights into the Stillen piece. Make sure that whoever paints
the thing for you is familiar with eurothane parts. TRIPLE sand the
thing to make certain you get ALL of the mold release agents off of it,
otherwise you'll be staring at flaking paint down the road. I believe
there are two attachment points at the area where the bumper cover meets
up with the stock fender splash panels. There you will use the supplied
pop rivets.

It's not that bad a kit really, but their grill kit is another story
entirely. Documentation for either kit can be called seriously lacking
at best, or non-existent, if you get a kit like mine. I got more info
from a Truckin' magazine article than I got from Stillen.

If it wasn't such good looking stuff once installed, I wouldn't go
through the hassle. I've seen the actual Stillen project truck. Even
took some pictures of it for my install info. Some of it is pretty
klugey, especially the way they cannibalize the stock grill and rig up a
Mickey Mouse hood release(you can't retain the stock one with their
grill kit).

I believe another list member, Ben Vaughn, has the grill kit installed.
He'd be a good source for questions there.

Good luck!

Bob