Re: Blaupunkt

From: Sam Parthemer (maverick_nr552@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 19 1999 - 10:48:31 EST

You can pickup an adapter kit at Circuit city for $12.00.

As far as Blaupunkt is concerned, I had a Lexington tape desk,
then added the second DIN sized CDP01 (CD player). Looked like
a radio stack in an airplane. The CDP01 was a Philips CD
player, and still to this date, no other CD player I've tried,
including my wife's Alpine CD changer, can play the scratched test CD
I used in the CDP01.. It was flawless. The Lexington had some
mysteriously loose screws in it that decided to come out and dance
around on the PCB, and caused a fire (YES FIRE!)... The Lexington
was replaced with the ULTRA cool Dallas AM Stereo/FM Stereo tuner,
CD controller/DAT controller. The control/display unit was on a
flexible stalk (like the Berlin of the '70s)... It also had ARI.
Which was a traffic alert signal broadcasted on a radio station.
If you were listening to a CD, or a DAT, and the ARI signal was
sent, the tuner would turn to the ARI broadcast (muting everything
else). It never really worked too well, as ARI never caught on.
The tuner was great, but I still needed to add a Blaupunkt power
boosted antenna... With this antenna I could pickup Las Vegas
radio stations from around Victorville, CA., and listening to the
UTAH Jazz play on AM Stereo could be heard here in San Diego...
This was 7 years ago... Sold the radio to a friend... He hasn't
done anything with it yet... maybe I might give him a call :P

Sam '95 SLT

JIM-- Let me know how I can get your CB back to you.

>Hopefully I=B4ll find out soon how well this works. I=B4m still waiting
for
>Crutchfield to send me the adapter kit (wiring harness). I=B4ve had a
chance
>to read through the owners manual, and the keycard can also store all
>sorts of other settings, like how sensitive the radio should be when
>scanning for stations. But I was thinking it would be neat to get a
couple
>of extra cards -- won=B4t work. The deck will only work with two cards
-- it
>puts a unique code on each card you program with it (there=B4s one
"master"
>card), and it drops off the oldest one you entered. Pity. I could see
>where, for a travelling salesman (not me) you could have a card for
each
>major city you went to, with a complete set of station presets for
each.
>I=B4ll have to write Blaupunkt, so the next version can do this...
>
>Jim
>
>>David Gloff writes:
>>I'm not terribly familiar with the Blaupunkt line (of receivers).
They
>>have a decent reputation as far as I've heard (but stay away from
their
>>speakers). As the heat is concerned, Most brands get really hot. My
>>Alpine would leave a cd almost burning to the touch especially when I
was
>>listening to the radio. I asked Mark (my friend from Soundz Plus)
about
>>the heat, and he said that all Alpines, Sonys and most other brand get
>>pretty hot, but they're designed to withstand the heat (they'd have to
be,
>>they're in a car), so I didn't worry about it when I bought my Sony (I
had
>>been searching for a head unit without an amp up to that point, to try
and
>>cut down on the heat). As far as security is concerned, the only
reason I
>>take off my faceplate is overnight in the winter (the display freezes
and
>>is very slow for about 10 minutes if I leave it in overnight) and when
>>park my truck in Chicago (I live in Naperville). Maybe security is a
>>bigger concern where you live. If you want the security without the
>>faceplate, an alternative is Eclipse, which has a "key cd" that you
>>select--if the power is removed, that cd must be inserted before it
will
>>work again. Those cards do sound kinda kewl, though. Hope that
helped.

>>>Jim wrote:
>>> To replace it, I=A5ve ordered the new Blaupunkt Sydney, with the
>>> smart card anti-theft feature. Judging just by the specs, it seems
like
>>> I=A5ll be giving up a bit of performance for this feature, but
I=A5ve had=
>>> pull-out Blaupunkt in my girlfriend=A5s VW Bug for about eight years
now,=
> and
>>> the tape deck still works great. Also, I listen to the radio quite a
bit,
>>> and the Blaupunkt=A5s new Codem IV tuner is supposed to be pretty
awesome=
>=2E
>>> I went to Fry=A5s, where they "burn-in" their radios by having them
>>> on all the time, and the detachable-face Blaupunkts got way too hot
for
>>> comfort. Semiconductor reliablity drops off dramatically as temp
increase=