never as easy as you think

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Tue Jan 19 1999 - 16:53:52 EST

" "We'd have
to charge for that". My ASS I'm going to pay someone for
5 minutes of work (that would be $30 for 5 minutes).

I said 'F' it and wrenched 'em myself. A 15 minute job took
an hour. BUT they are torqued properly now. "

-See, that's what's the problem when you try to earn a decent living in
this business. If they had spent the time you did, then it's money down
the drain when they can earn productive money. Shoot, especially if you
waited til 45K to do the first set, I bet they were going to be a pain.
Half the problem is getting the plug wire boots off without tearing the
wire apart.
  My furnace broke down last year, a relay that kicks the fan on went
sour. I rapped on it and it got unstuck and worked until the unit
cycled off then tried to kick it back on again. I called a couple of
HVAC places, and they all wanted a service call charge, plus parts and
labor. I found a distributor that had the relay I needed and put it in
myself, and saved the money. But I realized that if I couldnt fix it
myself, or was wrong in my diagnosis, or didnt feel like doing it, then
someone else deserves to get paid.
  I am all game to charge a fair price for honest work, nothing comes
free, baby. But I am dead against ripping off someone. If I can grease
a door, or rip off a piece of chin spoiler that got ripped off, or
something that'll take my guys less than 5 minutes, then sure, we'll do
it for free. But when you ask them to do something more extravagant,
and they arent getting paid because you arent getting paid,(remember,
they work flat-rate, not by the hour) that's a whole 'nuther story.
  My $0.02
Patrick