Pioneer (tough trucks)(Jim)

From: jim miller (jmiller@texnet.net)
Date: Wed Jan 20 1999 - 23:27:43 EST

> DODGE BUILDS INCREDABLY TOUGH TRUCKS AND I WOULD KNOW.
> I have a single 10" pioneer plastic cone sw driven by a
> The 85 also comes with another crossover that can eliminate frequencies
> > over 400 cps from the rear speakers called FIE, and here is how I use
> > it. I cut out the factory holes in the
> > doors to accept 8" pioneer woofers and run them from the rear speaker
> > outputs with the FIE turned on. This way there is full range to the
> > kick panel speakers, Bass and low mid up to 400 cps to the door
> > speakers and 80 down to the sub behind the drivers seat powered by the
> > external amp. I actually believe 10" could have been fitted in the
> > doors and someday I may do this. There is NO depth problem in the
> doors.
>

> Hi Jim, I keep thinking about your install. Did you mean you would put
> your sub(s) in the door with the 8"?? Where towards the rear of the
> pocket? Or did you mean inplace of your 8's?

The door speakers are mounted in the factory locations but I had to cut out
some of the sheet metal to make the 8s fit. They are being used as
mid-woofers from 80-400 CPS. The single 10" sub is in a slant front box
behind the driver seat. (not much room back there in my reg cab for anything
bigger). I believe 10s could have been fitted in the doors by removing more
metal but they would have to fire out the 6" holes in the factory door panel.
BTW the sheet metal in the Dodge doors is thicker than any other veichle I
ever tried this on. I don't believe ANY other truck is as solidly built as a
Dodge. In my 30 years installing car stereos I have never run into a more
solid built truck, even semi's. Some veichles you can drive an ice pick
through the sheet metal with your hand but on the Dodge I was barely able to
cut it with a sharp metal blade in a jig saw. You have no idea how tough a
Dodge is until you take one apart!
Jim in Waco
99 R/T RC (Dodge Tough!!!)