Re: TransGo Shift Kits

From: Alan Short (ashort@flash.net)
Date: Wed Jan 20 1999 - 14:28:09 EST

Gary Shook wrote:

> Longevity- how LONG is your truck going to shift fine when racing, and to
> what power level... It's especially important when towing heavy loads or
> significantly exceeding power output- the stock tranny was built for stock
> torque (more HP doesn't kill trannies, it's more torque that does..)
>
> just my .02's
>
> > I personally think there's nothing to gain with a shift kit of any
> >brand. My truck shifts fine, even for racing. You may bark second, but
> >for what? Alan S.

Well, since the shifts are harder, I think you are actually decreasing
the life of the tranny, not to mention the U-Joints, rear end gears and
tires. I'll stick with the stock shift, it seems pretty firm to me
already and also my R/T will never tow anything while I own it. I have
an '84 Chev 5/8 ton for the ugly work. Just my opinion. Alan S.