RE: Turbos ? WAS opinion about ATI,Powerdyne,Vortech

From: Jack Hilton III (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Thu Jan 21 1999 - 14:06:14 EST

Here in GA they only do a visual on the cat. and only start doing load
testing after about 6-7 years old . This is the way the tests run as quoted
form the Gistapo's web site :

(1975-1992 model years)
 The test, known as an acceleration simulation mode (ASM) test,
incorporates the use of a dynamometer to test a vehicle under
"load", meaning the car is tested with the wheels turning on rollers to
simulate actual driving conditions.

Q.Since the ASM is a more rigorous test, will there be a higher
  failure rate?

A.The EPD says the current testing failure rate -- about 11-15
percent -- could as much as double under the ASM.

Q.What test will be done on my vehicle?

A.Visual inspection.The catalytic converter (if originally equipped) will
be examined to make sure it has not been tampered with
or removed. Exhaust emission test.Newer vehicles(from the six most recent
model years) will get a 2-speed idle test. This test monitors the vehicle's
emission output while it idles in place.Older vehicles (over six model
years) will get an Acceleration Simulation Mode (ASM) test. During this
test, the car is secured on rollers that allow the vehicle to be tested
under simulated driving conditions. This more comprehensive test allows for
a more accurate test of metro Atlanta's
older vehicles.

In other words , BULLSHIT!!!!