Turbochargers

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Thu Jan 21 1999 - 17:19:07 EST

If any of you are serious about turbocharging your Dakota, I'd highly
recommend checking out the Garrett VNT25 as a possibility in a dual
configuration, or the VNT 45 (normally used in diesels, but you need a bigger
turbo for a V8) in a single configuration. Their website is at:

http://www.alliedsignal.com/business/turbo/index.html

   The reasons for my recommendation are simple. I owned a VNT (Variable
Nozzle Turbo) Shadow. The variable geometry of the turbo charger has some
impressive benefits. First off: NO WASTEGATE is on the turbo. This means
increased reliability and dependability. Secondly: a larger VNT turbo spins
up as fast or faster than a smaller normal turbo, yet delivers the air at full
boost of a large turbo. This almost eliminates turbo lag. Without a
wastegate you can also argue that you have made no significant changes to the
exhaust flow (wastegates can dump exhaust into the open air- depending on the
configuration- without any emissions checks!)
   The turbo on my Shadow would provide almost 20 psi to the engine except an
air bleed valve kicked in at 13 psi so as not to over pressurize the engine.
The 2.2L engine normally pumped out about 120hp, but with the turbo it hit
175hp. Putting a pair of the VNT25s on the 318 or 360 would make the engine
into a monster. Remember, turbo's are much more capable of producing PSI than
superchargers, so while a Vortech system may crank out 8-10psi of boost, the
large turbos will glady pump out 15-16psi all day long...
   The problem is the EPA (what else is new) and if you can get an exemption
for the modification... good luck.

Shaun H.