Re: Turbochargers

From: HEMI@charter.net
Date: Thu Jan 21 1999 - 18:48:09 EST

I don't think you'll be pushing 15-16PSi on a Magnum V8 unless you have it
forged everywhere and the compression ration is at about 8 to 1 . Ours are
at 9 to 1 right now I believe .

I have heard good things about the VNT though , too bad Chrysler sold the
technology to Honda....those morons !

When I talked to the guy today , he was talking about running a single
turbo with a wastegate . He said that twins wouldn't do much more than a
single and that I shouldn't run more than 5 or 6 PSI on the stock motor
unless I planned on doing some major internal mods .

At 02:19 PM 1/21/99 -0800, you wrote:

>If any of you are serious about turbocharging your Dakota, I'd highly
>recommend checking out the Garrett VNT25 as a possibility in a dual
>configuration, or the VNT 45 (normally used in diesels, but you need a bigger
>turbo for a V8) in a single configuration. Their website is at:
>
>http://www.alliedsignal.com/business/turbo/index.html
>
> The reasons for my recommendation are simple. I owned a VNT (Variable
>Nozzle Turbo) Shadow. The variable geometry of the turbo charger has some
>impressive benefits. First off: NO WASTEGATE is on the turbo. This means
>increased reliability and dependability. Secondly: a larger VNT turbo spins
>up as fast or faster than a smaller normal turbo, yet delivers the air at
full
>boost of a large turbo. This almost eliminates turbo lag. Without a
>wastegate you can also argue that you have made no significant changes to the
>exhaust flow (wastegates can dump exhaust into the open air- depending on the
>configuration- without any emissions checks!)
> The turbo on my Shadow would provide almost 20 psi to the engine except an
>air bleed valve kicked in at 13 psi so as not to over pressurize the engine.
>The 2.2L engine normally pumped out about 120hp, but with the turbo it hit
>175hp. Putting a pair of the VNT25s on the 318 or 360 would make the engine
>into a monster. Remember, turbo's are much more capable of producing PSI
than
>superchargers, so while a Vortech system may crank out 8-10psi of boost, the
>large turbos will glady pump out 15-16psi all day long...
> The problem is the EPA (what else is new) and if you can get an exemption
>for the modification... good luck.
>
>Shaun H.

Jack Hilton III

HEMI@charter.net