Re: Turbochargers

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 21 1999 - 22:46:03 EST

At 06:48 PM 1/21/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I don't think you'll be pushing 15-16PSi on a Magnum V8 unless you have it
>forged everywhere and the compression ration is at about 8 to 1 . Ours are
>at 9 to 1 right now I believe .

  Is PSI from a turbo the same as PSI from a blower? Seems to me that
a lot of those imports are running large amounts of boost with turbos
whereas blowers run a lot less. Just wondering if there was something
about turbo boost that made it safer to run more pressure than a blower?

>I have heard good things about the VNT though , too bad Chrysler sold the
>technology to Honda....those morons !
>
>When I talked to the guy today , he was talking about running a single
>turbo with a wastegate . He said that twins wouldn't do much more than a
>single and that I shouldn't run more than 5 or 6 PSI on the stock motor
>unless I planned on doing some major internal mods .

   Don't be too sure... :-) The reason for running twin (or more)
turbos isn't to increase pressure, but to reduce turbo lag. The
smaller the turbo, the less time it takes to spool up. Using 2 5psi
turbos will give you the same output as a single 10psi turbo, but due to
the reduced spool-up time, that power will come on a lot faster
off the line.

  Plus, it seems to me that 2 turbos running at low pressure would
outlive a single turbo running at twice the psi. If I were going
to turbocharge my Dak I think a twin setup would almost be a
must... There is the initial additional cost and the system
complexity goes up a little, but lag reduction and turbo longevity
are big plusses.

  Another issue with a turbo is an intercooler is practically a must.
Lots of heat. Also, a pre-oiler would be a good idea; one that will
circulate engine oil 5 minutes or so after the engine has shut down.
That'll help to cool the turbos down gradually and prevent coking.

  By the way, nitrous is supposed to work VERY well on turbocharged
vehicles. It helps to cool that hot air as well as doing its
usual job of increasing the oxygen density in the combustion
chamber. Some of the imports use a little 25hp shot of nitrous
off the line to eliminate turbo lag.

  Well, that's about the sum total of my turbo knowledge. :-)

  So... Who's gonna be the first, and can I drive your Dak when its
done? Or at least get a ride? :-)

                                               -Jon-