Re: Turbochargers

From: HEMI@charter.net
Date: Fri Jan 22 1999 - 00:34:00 EST

> Is PSI from a turbo the same as PSI from a blower? Seems to me that
>a lot of those imports are running large amounts of boost with turbos
>whereas blowers run a lot less. Just wondering if there was something
>about turbo boost that made it safer to run more pressure than a blower?

Yep , PSI is Pounds per Square Inch of Pressure . I think the reason they
can do it on 4-bangers is because they are usually set up with a lower
starting compression ration as most small turbo motors so that they don't
grenade when the turbo kicks in . Another side note , I have never seen a
turbo with more than 50k miles on it that didn't squirt oil out of at least
a few places . That's what you get when you are basically pressurizing
everything .

Jack Hilton III

HEMI@charter.net

http://webpages.charter.net/hemi/jbd1.html