RE: Stolen R/T(N. CA)

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Sun Jan 24 1999 - 11:53:13 EST

> The Man From Utopia wrote:
> >
> > A transponder system installed in your auto that is activated
> by a central
> > office. So your auto gets boosted, you call the police(to
> report it), and
> > when the VIN of your auto hits the Stolen Car database the LoJack office
> > sees it and they activate the unit which then sends out it's
> beacon signal
> > from the unit in your auto. A trolling police unit that has the LoJack
> > reciever setup (over glorified direction finder) can follow the
> baecon to
> > you auto. Now hopefully it's parked, if not most likely your
> auto is toast
> > because most of the time it turns into a chase. One time when I did EMS
> > work, a smart cop (unusual but) called us on the fire band and
> asked us to
> > follow a car, and radio its location so they can set up a roadblock and
> > block him in. Pretty cool take down. Better than watching COPS
> (which I was
> > missing).
> If a department has kept up with new techniques, they can setup a spike
> strip in the path of the chased vehicle, some are even cast & retrieve
> so they can stand by the road, (behind cover of course) and accurately
> and safely deflate all 4 tires. I never liked those RS A's anyway. This
> chase thing is the only drawback to the Lojack system to me. But it
> doesn't always happen that way. One case history goes something like, a
> passing patrol car gets a blip and tracks it to the port area. Driving
> out onto the dock, the signal was strongest next to a container ship.
> Inside, many containers of stolen cars headed to another country.
> Busted! Also has led to numerous chop shops. Alan S.

Your senario is a FEDs wet dream come true. But in reality (in the NY Metro
area) your truck would be parts in 55 gal drums before it left town. Now if
you're in Newark/Port Elizabeth/Staten Island area then yes your truck would
be on a ship bound for the Middle East. Protocol were I worked is they used
covert surveillance then just bounce on them at a traffic
light/intersection.

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd