RE: Stolen R/T(N. CA)

From: HEMI@charter.net
Date: Sun Jan 24 1999 - 13:03:57 EST

When LoJack first came to Atlanta , they did a test on it .

They had an unidentified car somewhere in Atlanta with a LoJack .

They had several Police cars with the detection gear and the date of the
test was unannounced .

When the LoJack was activated , it was located by an Atlanta PD officer in
about 8 minutes in a remote area of downtown .

At 11:53 AM 1/24/99 -0500, you wrote:
>> The Man From Utopia wrote:
>> >
>> > A transponder system installed in your auto that is activated
>> by a central
>> > office. So your auto gets boosted, you call the police(to
>> report it), and
>> > when the VIN of your auto hits the Stolen Car database the LoJack office
>> > sees it and they activate the unit which then sends out it's
>> beacon signal
>> > from the unit in your auto. A trolling police unit that has the LoJack
>> > reciever setup (over glorified direction finder) can follow the
>> baecon to
>> > you auto. Now hopefully it's parked, if not most likely your
>> auto is toast
>> > because most of the time it turns into a chase. One time when I did EMS
>> > work, a smart cop (unusual but) called us on the fire band and
>> asked us to
>> > follow a car, and radio its location so they can set up a roadblock and
>> > block him in. Pretty cool take down. Better than watching COPS
>> (which I was
>> > missing).
>> If a department has kept up with new techniques, they can setup a spike
>> strip in the path of the chased vehicle, some are even cast & retrieve
>> so they can stand by the road, (behind cover of course) and accurately
>> and safely deflate all 4 tires. I never liked those RS A's anyway. This
>> chase thing is the only drawback to the Lojack system to me. But it
>> doesn't always happen that way. One case history goes something like, a
>> passing patrol car gets a blip and tracks it to the port area. Driving
>> out onto the dock, the signal was strongest next to a container ship.
>> Inside, many containers of stolen cars headed to another country.
>> Busted! Also has led to numerous chop shops. Alan S.
>>

>Your senario is a FEDs wet dream come true. But in reality (in the NY Metro
>area) your truck would be parts in 55 gal drums before it left town. Now if
>you're in Newark/Port Elizabeth/Staten Island area then yes your truck would
>be on a ship bound for the Middle East. Protocol were I worked is they used
>covert surveillance then just bounce on them at a traffic
>light/intersection.
>
>Greg
>95 DSCC v6 5spd

Jack Hilton III