THANKS for the Help! w/ Bad Knock Problem with New Plugs

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Sun Jan 24 1999 - 18:43:52 EST

I haven't figured out what went wrong yet, but I wanted send a quick note
of thanks to all that sent suggestions and ideas... THANK YOU!

I'd check the codes if I could but I have a '98 so I'm SOL and have to
guess at what's wrong unless I want to take it to the dealer, ugh! I did
get a wire tester today to see if any of the plug cables are damaged and
some dielectric grease. If the wires check out I'll go to the cap, rotor
and coil as has been suggested. If all else fails (and I have to admit
defeat :( I'll put the stock plugs back in.

A couple of notes:
Some other guys are running the +4's with no problems so I'm not down on
the plugs... I think I did something or have got something wrong.
I pulled one of the plug wires off and started the motor... I'll be damned
but the engine still idles smooth with only 7 cylinders running. I didn't
rev the motor 'cause I didn't want to do any damage... It sure makes
diagnosis hard, though.
Lastly, it's been raining here and I'm holding off trying to figure this
out 'till it dries up (one less variable to worry about :-).

Thanks again,

Tom