Re: RE: MTX Thunderform

From: David Gloff (dgloff@xnet.com)
Date: Mon Jan 25 1999 - 15:26:28 EST

>> I always shop knowing my RMS and MAX values. The
first thing I do is make sure my total peak/max power driven to my
speakers is less than the RMS of the speaker itself. I have blown
several speakers (MTX was the first set, hahahahaha) not paying
attention to that amp.

While it is possible to blow speakers from too much power (actually
tearing the cone from the spider), it's extremely difficult. However,
it's way too easy to blow speakers from too much distortion. Distortion
is measured in % of THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) at a particular
wattage output. Lower is better, preferably .1% or lower. When shopping,
I TRY (but don't always succeed) to get an amplifier that equals or
slightly exceeds the power rating of my speakers (both in RMS, of course),
with very low distortion. If you go lower than the rated output of your
speakers (assuming a quality amp), just make sure you don't have to turn
up the amp too far. If gain must be set above about 5/8 or 3/4 to get
sufficient output, you have an underpowered amp. The closer you get to
the top of the gain knob, the more distortion. The very best systems run
with the gain at the lowest setting (turned counter-clockwise all the
way). Mine doesn't, because I'm cheap (it's around 1/2 of maximum). My
two indian-heads.

David Gloff
Computer Technician
Valcom Professional Computer Center; Kemper/Scudder/Zurich Funds
aolim: dgloff
Loaded Intense Blue '99 Dakota Sport CC 318 5-speed 3.92SG
Sony C680 CD Player and HX-504 amp
Phoenix Gold XS 10" Sub, 6 1/2" midranges, 3/4" tweeters