Re: Extended Warranties

From: Richard A Pyburn (rap777@juno.com)
Date: Sun Jan 31 1999 - 10:32:30 EST

Dan,

As one post said, if that's your father's advice and you don't heed it
and something goes wrong you'll never hear the end of it. Also, Sam's
advice about whether or not you will have the cash on hand to repair
problems is good. I got the CC extended warranty on my wife's Intrepid
but not on my Dak. 2 reasons: the Intrepid is used for family trips more
often, the wife and kids are in it more and that whole drivetrain is hard
as hell to work on; on the other hand the Dak is easy to work on, doesn't
usually ahve passengers and has lots of mods.

I have used the extended warranty on the Intrepid and glad I had it when
needed for a water pump replacement at 48k. I have never had any repair
issues with the Dak. If you get the CC warranty, all repairs MUST be made
at a Chrysler dealer. Is this what you want (not saying this is bad but
could be less convenient or not as good as some other shop)?The most
important thing is to look at what the warranty does NOT cover. Often the
expensive things are not covered. If you are spending the bucks for an
extended warranty it should act like one, i.e., cover everything but
maintenance items.

Hope this helps.

Richard in San Antonio

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999 22:25:26 -0500 Daniel Confer <dconfer@wam.umd.edu>
writes:
>I'm 18 and last October purchased a '98 Emerald Green Dakota Sport
>with
>the regular cab, short bed, 318, and 4 speed automatic. I was
>wondering
>if what the list members think about extended warranties. My Dad has
>been pushing me to get a service contract from Chrysler, and the
>dealer
>recommended the 7 year/70,000 mile Added Care contract for my truck.
>His best price for the plan with the $50 deductible was $955 and for
>the
>$100 deductible was $825. My question is should I just save my money
>and believe that my truck won't need that much work or go with the
>service contract? Any information or opinions would be appreciated.
>Thanks.
>
>-Dan, UMCP Student

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]