Re: Shaker hood what do you want

From: Rekker21@aol.com
Date: Thu Feb 04 1999 - 19:39:35 EST

In a message dated 2/4/99 4:08:42 PM Eastern Standard Time, tigers@bserv.com
writes:

<< Wouldn't a cowl hood be the most effective design
 from a strictly performance standpoint? It would
 allow hot air out of the engine compartment and
 give plently of room to run with an open air element.

 I know from the muscle car days that all the OE
 scoop designs were more show than go ... that's
 why I never got one back then. >>

    Bob,
        We discussed this on the list some time last year. When I did wind
tunnel testing on Neons and JA's at Lockheed in Georgia, there was a lot of
turbulence at the cowl, and what that did was redirect the wind away from the
base of the windshield to help improve the flow of the wipers. We did a
little testing here at home with friends, ya know, the old yarn trick, on some
cowl induction hoods and found that they are very efficient. Actually it
draws air into the engine bay. That raised section of the hood creates a
vacuum at the cowl inducing induction.
    GM stated that the hood on the Trans Am is a much more efficient hood than
the SS Camaro hood due to the fact that the farther forward the scoop is on
the hood, the better due to undisturbed air flow. I have found that to be
very true for the hood that I have on my dak now. My plan was to have a dual
function hood. With the scoops up front, and cowl induction. Cowl induction
however will only work if its sealed to the air cleaner much like normal
scoops. SO! I thought of having the front scoops raming fresh cool air into
the engine compartment while the aircleaner will be sealed off to the cowl
induction side.
  Please understand that I am not an expert at this! These are only my
theories backed by a little experience! I am open and actually requesting
help and ideas before I start this project with a deadline in sight!
Eric