sluggish first gear

From: Doug Myers (dougmyers@radix.net)
Date: Fri Feb 05 1999 - 00:26:26 EST

Hey guys,

    I've had my '99 Dak since november or so, and love it. The only
complaint I have about it is that first gear has virtually no acceleration.
Unless I floor it, It doesnt really start to get up and go until second
gear. I've got the 318, 5-speed, and 3.92SG with the tire/handling group
(255/65-15 tires). Is this normal? I would think with the gears that it
would fly, and the other trucks I test drove didn't seem to be this way.
They had the 3.92's also.

    Another thing I noticed, that may be related, is that the engine doesn't
respond very quickly to throtte. With the truck in neutral, if I tap the
gas, it takes a second before the engine responds, and it doesn't rev up
very quickly to me. Is this because of the 'progressive bore' throttle body?
Is there a mod I can do to improve this? I was thinking of a ported throttle
body... would that help? What about the FABM?

    BTW, my old car was a V6 Daytona, so I may just not be used to the truck
yet :-)

Doug