Re: RE:DML Power in 1st gear

From: David Gloff (dgloff@xnet.com)
Date: Tue Feb 09 1999 - 10:43:13 EST

You're going the wrong direction bud... Taller (bigger in diameter) tires
are WORSE for take off: NOT BETTER! They are harder for the engine to
turn! They effectively DECREASE your gear ratio! Once rolling, they are
almost the same to turn as a smaller tire, but you travel longer distances
in one revolution so you are getting better gas mileage. If you had a
problem spinning out all the time, going to a bigger tire would help you
by forcing the torque to turn a larger tire, but if you are having
problems now, going to a bigger tire will make them worse... I speak from
personal experience here... <<

I am perfectly aware of this, but my complaint is that my accelleration is
slow because I have to shift so quickly, as in, almost the moment I start
to move. The extra lag from that drops me well behind other traffic in
normal driving. And starting in second, the engine sounds so pained that
I don't try that too often anymore. I'm also not thrilled by being at
2750 RPM to go 75MPH and the mileage that goes along with it. I
understand that balls-out performance is better with the 3.92, but I can't
help but think that I'd be happier with something on the order of a 3.7,
which is why I'm considering the taller tires (and soon too, because these
Eagle GAs really suck)

David Gloff
Computer Technician
Valcom Professional Computer Center; Kemper/Scudder/Zurich Funds
aolim: dgloff
Loaded Intense Blue '99 Dakota Sport CC 318 5-speed 3.92SG
Sony C680 CD Player and HX-504 amp
Phoenix Gold XS 10" Sub, 6 1/2" midranges, 3/4" tweeters