RE: new email address CABLE MODEMS?

From: Jack Hilton III (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Tue Feb 09 1999 - 13:15:04 EST

At 12:21 PM 2/9/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>So what is the total cost to get a cable modem if you already have a nic
>card. Price of box, monthly fee, and such????

That depends on where you are , what services they offer in the package ,
if there is any competition in the area that offers the service , and what
speed they are selling you .

Typically , in an area that has no competition , we would sell the service
as 500kbps (we can set them from 100kbps to over 10MB) with one e-mail
address , and Newsgroups for $39.95 , PLUS $9.95 per month Cable Modem
rental , PLUS whatever cable service you have (remember you have to have
cable to get a cable modem) .

In our area , we have another cable company that also offers the modems so
we do it a bit differently .
We offer three e-mail addys , 6MB of web space , 27K Newsgroups , 24x7 Tech
support from our NOC for $24.95 per month . In addition , we do not charge
anything for the install , and there is no monthly rental fee for the modem
, and our modems are set at 1000kbps .
All you have to add is the price of the NIC card , which is usually between
$25 and $65 , and whatever cable you have .
There is a saying in corporate that goes like this : "We are in Newnan
[where this system is] to make friends , not money ."
All of the new technology in Charter Communications is launched here first
because of the competition , who is a municipallity and has an unfair
advantage .
In about two months , we will be launching a service called WorldGate .
It is virtually identical to WebTV , except it runs through the cabel , and
not the phone line . Just like WebTV , it is displayed on your TV . Only
thing is is that you can only do Web Surfing and e-mail , no saving .

Jack Hilton III

Black 1998 Dodge Dakota R/T Club Cab

Charter Pipeline......the Next Wave.....

HEMI@charter.net

http://webpages.charter.net/hemi/jbd1.html